I'm claiming super mom status today. I feel like Dr. Hodgins from Bones- 'King of the Lab!'
'Super Mom!'
Today wasn't spectacular. In fact, it could be said that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Well.. I did actually, but thats because Ben took over my side of the bed after Chad left for work this morning. I woke up grumpy. Two days with out naps and minimal sleep at night because I apparently ate something that kept Ben gassy make for one super grumpy momma. And then there was Sariah. Sariah who is the cutest and most adorable little girl I know, IS DRIVING ME ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! I know.. shocker. She's reached that phase where nothing I do is good enough or fast enough. I hear my mothers voice constantly in my head at this point.. half concealing with ideas of how to make her stop screaming, stop poking her brother, stop climbing over the couches... and the other half is my mother laughing at me, reminding me that she's just like me.
I've also learned that when I get frustrated, overtired, and grumpy, I like to hide in my sewing room. It's been a rather productive two days, since my naps obviously weren't going to happen, I've sat right here behind my machine. I've produced two sets of curtains, two baby blankets, four burp rags, and even managed to catch up on my seasons of Bones. I've made two wonderful dinners, and I've organized my sewing area to a level of almost OCD proportions. I've installed a wall mount for our TV, and found a way to keep the couch covers from slipping off the couches.
I got Sariah to play nice today. I even managed to get clothes on her today. After a morning of installing curtain rods, Both of my wonderful children fell asleep for naps AT THE SAME TIME! So what did I do? I took a nap. It was Amazing. Amazing. I've been functioning without stressing out or snapping at kids ever since. Course... it probably helps that Chad came home during the nap, didn't wake me up, but did take Ben out so that when I didn't have to get up when he decided. And then: I didn't make dinner tonight. I know- how can you be super mom without making dinner?! Well... Maybe I'm not super mom. I did the whole super mom thing for two days straight.
And. It. Was. Exhausting.
So I didn't make dinner, Chad did. And Chad changed the diapers tonight. And Chad installed the baby locks on our pantry. And Chad put Sariah to bed. So.. maybe Chad is super Dad. He sure is a great dad. But he's a better husband- because he changed the diapers, and put on the PJ's, and put Sariah down, cooked dinner, did the dishes, and let me have a couple hours to be mentally alone. He payed attention to me saying I was super stressed and tired. (Although, I think my being frustrated to the point of 'Chad! I need a mental health day!' in a very exasperated voice while trying to get Ben to stop screaming at bed time last night probably helped). I'm too practical to try to take a full day off of motherhood, but the hours after a good solid nap and child free evening sure did go a long way to restoring my desire to be super mom.
And then my awesome cousin posted on her Blog. She does a great pre-schooler/toddler activity blog, and shared her mother experiences with the world. Todays post was a good breather and reminder for me: Deliberate Motherhood. She also linked a great mommy self help/networking site, The Power of Moms: A Gathering Place for Deliberate Mothers. I thought of my friends Caroline and Nyssa when I was clicking on links. I'll probably be visiting this sight often, so I remember things like: I chose motherhood. I love motherhood. My children are my world, and what I do as a mom matters. (Can anyone else here the chanting going on inside my head?? Because it totally is!) It will probably become my mental mantra when I ask those inevitable questions like 'WHAT IN THE HECK WAS I THINKING?!?!!?'
So I'll admit it. I'm not super mom all the time. But since I had a mental health afternoon behind my sewing machine, I'll try to go back to being super mom tomorrow. Until then though, I'm going to feed Ben one more time, and I'm going to go to bed. Best laid plans don't start in the morning, they start the night before. My mothers voice now is one of a memory: Go to bed early so you're ready for what tomorrow brings (or something along those lines).
... As a teenager I never believed it when someone (esp my mom) told me that someday, I would realize my mother really knew what she was talking about and was usually right... But I never questioned her when she cursed my with a child of my own, just. like. me. Selective hearing? I think so.
Super mom, signing off and going to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment