Today was supposed to be ridiculously crazy. I had a list of things THAT HAD TO GET DONE before 10:30 this morning when I had the housing inspector coming over for a pre-move out inspection. I got up, got the kids dressed, and off to daycare we went. I came home and made myself some tea to help wake me up (because we all know I am not a morning person!). So, thinking I had about an hour and a half until the maintenance guy was going to be here, I sat down for two minutes to drink my tea- AND THE DOORBELL RINGS! Dang it. There is only one person who isn't afraid to ring my doorbell and that person is the person who doesn't know any better (everyone who normal comes over either just walks in or knocks for fear of waking me up). And there he is, the kind home inspector. I did not have my floors vacuumed, or mopped, or swept. I did not have my toilets scrubbed to a glistening sheen of perfection, and I'm pretty sure there was a diaper from this mornings dressing session that didn't quit make it to the trash can (it was next to the trash, just not in...). I mean, I did spend 3 days getting ready, so the house is clean, all I HAD to do this morning was the floors. I looked at the clock when the doorbell rang- it was 9:15. Hello?! 10:30?? Whats the point of making a specific appointment if they are going to ignore it? Dang housing. So in he comes, asks me five questions or so, looks at the tubs (which happened to be clean thank goodness!) and then told me we were done. WE'RE DONE???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I JUST SPENT MY ENTIRE WEEKEND TRYING TO GET THINGS IN ORDER SO YOU COULD SPEND TEN MINUTES NOT LOOKING AT ANYTHING??? Fine. Be that way. It's a good thing he was a sweetheart. I mean really. So then I decided the vacuuming could wait. The mopping could wait. The toilets most definitely could wait. My entire mornings worth of plans was shot. So I did something "scandalous"... I went to the movies by. my. self. AND IT WAS AWESOME! I put on one of Chad's hats, my biggest pair of hideous bug eye sunglasses, and drove my minivan to the theater. Oh yes, I went out by myself, and I WENT IN DISGUISE...

just in case someone recognized me and asked me where my kids were or what I was doing or where I was going... I even snuck some food/snacks. I'm so bad. I LAUGHED OUT LOUD at a preview. I'm totally going to go see that new Disney movie... I sat in the back row so no one would notice me, but it was so cool- the theater I went to, had automatic reclining lazy boy chairs... for each person. So I totally put my feet up, turned off my phone, and snacked on a fudge round. Heaven.
And then I was driving home. And I looked at my gas tank, and saw that it was just above 'E.' I thought about filling up, decided it could wait, and went on home. But having noticed the tank, I began to feel a little guilty... so to assuage my mommy guilt, I went and picked up the kids early (which I justified by saying that I was saving gas by not going home and then going back out to get the kids). Well, lucky for me, it was just after snack time, and just before nap time! So I brought them home, and Ben went right to bed. Sariah is waiting for me to go lay down. Oh yea, mommy guilt assuaged, and secret identity safe. I felt like a celebrity hiding from the paparazzi today. It was thrilling. I might do it again, someday. Like next week when that Disney movie comes out...
OK. You should definitely be a "professional" writer. That was hysterical. And about that doorbell thing...paybacks are heck don'cha know?
ReplyDeletehaha.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure that's every Mommy's dream day.
ReplyDelete