So... this pregnancy is making me a foodie. The only problem with trying to be a foodie and being an army wife at the same time is- WE'RE POOR! So, in order to satisfy some ridiculous flavor cravings, I've had to budget, plan ahead, and be inventive with whatever spices are in my cupboard. (I know, everyone does this already... but I'll admit a certain type of laziness that usually has me supplementing dinner with a box of _________).
Today, I've created Heaven in a bite.
I live on allrecipes.com most of the day. I'm on a 'lets try something new for dinner' kick. I've discovered Braised Basalmic Chicken- manda style.
You can look it up, or you can do it like I did- it's totally worth it!!
2 chicken breasts
1 med onion
1 tbs olive oil
Garlic powder
Pepper
2 cans diced tomatoes (drain one, leave the other juicy)
1/4 cup basalmic vinegar
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs basil
1 tbs rosemary
Thaw your chicken and cut into cubes. Slice your onion into thin, long chunks (or however you prefer your onions- not super diced). Sauté in a pan over med-heat with the olive oil, sprinkling pepper and garlic on chicken while cooking. In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes, vinegar, and spices- stir together to let the tomatoes absorb the flavors. (I'm also somewhat on a garlic kick, and added some freshly minced garlic to the tomatoes as well). Once your onions have softened and are turning clear, add tomato mixture in with the chicken, and simmer until chicken is fully cooked and juices are reduces- about 10 minutes ish. Serve over rice, spaghetti, angel hair pasta, or your favorite noodle- Green beans pair nicely with these meal too.
I'm going to go and stuff my face now. That is all.
this sounds really good! Something else that is good is this little number :1 8oz package of Linguine (whole grain or whole wheat are great!)
ReplyDelete1 8oz pack of fresh sugar snap peas (frozen if you can find them)
2 T peanut oil (can use vegetable oil)
2 T soy sauce
1 T peanut butter
1 T limejuice
1 tsp chili garlic sauce (substitute- 1/2 tsp chili powder 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
cooked and chopped chicken
1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
Cook linguine in 2 quarts boiling water. Cook as directed on box. Add sugar snap peas 2-3 minutes before Linguine should be done.
Combine oil, soy sauce, peanut butter, lime, and chili garlic sauce in small bowl.
Drain pasta and return to pan. Add chicken to sauce for a few minutes.
Pour sauce and chicken over pasta, sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Serve while warm. Serves about 4.